Saturday, September 7, 2013

Hello every one out there in blogger world! I'm Maria. This blog is going to contain a lot of random things, mainly school related. I've never used a blog before and have no clue as to what I'm doing. I think my ten year old brother knows how to use a blog better then I do! I've noticed that little kids are learning how to use electronics at a very young age. I have a three year old cousin who can navigate through a tablet and Skype a lot better then I can. Now you might be asking yourself why is this girl embarrassing herself by telling the world that 3 year olds are way more technologically savvy then herself?! Well, the answer is simple. I have an assignment to talk about media technology. I'm being asked to write a blog about my thoughts on the role media technology should play in teaching. Like any question there are always two sides, those who say it should play an important role and those who say it should not. Now, I know we always have those in between people which I would categorize myself as but for the sake of giving a direct answer I am going to side with those who say that it should play an important role in teaching. In current times it is rare to find someone who still reads an actual newspaper to see what is going on in the world. A lot of people get their news from  online sources such as Yahoo and even Facebook, Twitter etc. . . Information travels a lot faster thanks to media technology. When ever something occurs in the world the information about the event gets out in a matter of seconds. I've heard the phrase "we live in a technology driven world" many times and I believe that phrase to be true. That being said is the reason for why I think it is very important for media technology to be used in teaching. Children who have not even started school are already into electronics and I think are probably going to be more interested in school learning if technology is incorporated.



2 comments:

  1. I find a lot of your statements to be true. And I have a nephew who can't spell his name or poop in a toilet but he can find his favorite show on Netflix! So yeah, as you said, technology is an important part of our lives, so much so that even children are starting to become integrated with the internet at a significantly faster pace than the previous generation (I still know people who are scared of computers!).

    Given that, I follow both sides of the media argument as well; while I do not believe that a machine can replace an actual teacher, I think it would be foolish to attempt to circumvent technology. As kids have demonstrated, its a part of our lives and I feel it makes things easier and sometimes, more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria,

    I agree- technology is regular at super young ages (some kids have cell phones in elementary school nowadays). It is our job as teachers to incorporate that technology into the learning environment. Technology can be a tool in the classroom as long as it is used productively. Most teachers do not allow any cell phone, laptop, or tablet use in the classroom, but I feel it should be welcomed as long as it is doing class-related research or looking something up in the dictionary- or even finding a quote from that poem you read 2 years ago by an author you don't remember.
    Kids (myself included) enjoy playing with their cell phones. We should teach them how to use it for educational purposes. For example, I have tons of apps that help me with my studies/time-management/even an app to help me sleep.

    ReplyDelete